Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Being a Proctor

What I do in my day job came up on the email loop and I thought I'd post about being a proctor at Kingwood College http://www.kingwoodcollege.com/Templates/Content.aspx?pid=1931

(Wow!! Now that's a long address!!)

I administer tests - placement tests, makeup tests, tests being taken for online classes at another institution, and various other types of tests.

I give the tests and then keep an eye on the test taker to make sure he/she doesn't cheat. It's not a difficult job and I get to meet a lot of nice, although a bit nervous, people. And, for the record, I've never caught anyone cheating.

On first glance, people fall into stereotypes. I've seen the blonde Barbie Dolls, the jocks, the psuedo-intellectuals, and the goths - complete with tattoos, and all kinds of body piercings. But once you get to talking to them on a personal level, you get to know them a bit and they break out of that stereotype and become individuals. Most of them really are just big kids trying to find their way in an adult world that seems not only strange to them, but also hostile. I'm surprised at how many students expect to be treated rudely by the adults they have to deal with.

I'm lucky because I have two daughters the same age as the students and I know about their world - about gaming, manga, (Japanese comic books) and anime (Japanese cartoons).

I'm also lucky because I really like people. Every person has a story to tell, and I enjoy listening.

Hugs,
Diana

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Sounds like a fun job! And a neat college. Thanks for helping us get to know you better.

    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to be able to enjoy your work! And I'll bet you get some good story ideas just by observing all those kids.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete