Friday, January 19, 2007

Ice Storm

As I sit here in the early morning hours with a cat on my lap and a cup of coffee nearby, I'm thinking of how everything is A-okay in my little world. We survived the ice storm that hit Houston a few days ago and didn't get any broken branches or have a power outage. And, I found it actually thrilling to see icicles once again.

When I was ten and we came back from Japan we lived for a couple of years in New Waverly, Indiana. New Wavery was, and is still, a tiny place, but I absolutely loved living there. In the winter I'd get up before dawn and walk about four blocks to the catch the schoolbus. I don't remember ever being cold. What I do remember is how the snow sparkled in the moonlight and appeared light blue. It was indeed a winter wonderland.

Of course, being a kid, I didn't have to deal with the realities of snow. I didn't have to drive in it or shovel the sidewalk. I just enjoyed it.

Which is what I did with our recent ice storm. I didn't have to go out on the roads, so I stayed in where it was warm and toasty. I only wish everyone could have done the same.

Diana

0 comments:

Post a Comment